Saturday, March 10, 2012

Dog Is My Copilot by Patrick Regan

Dog Is My Copilot: Rescue Tales of Flying Dogs, Second Chances, and the Hero Who Might Live Next DoorThis wasn't what I was expecting. For some reason, I thought it would be really heartwarming stories about pilots and their dogs. (Yes, I know, I got so excited, I didn't read the blurb thoroughly. Actually, there wasn't that extensive a blurb at first.) Well, the stories are heartwarming, but told in a way that made me think of a really long magazine article.



Though taken aback, I still consider it a very good read. It's not about pilots and their dogs, however, but about Pilots N Paws. There is a network of dog rescue crews on the ground and in the air. PNP consists of pilots that donate their time, their gas, their planes, their flight hours to make sure dog reach potential adoptive home across the country


The first 18 percent was just about the origins of the group. I started losing interest there.. I wanted the dog stories. We finally get them and they're sad and happy. There's a dog who was hit by a train, military service dogs suffering cancer and getting a Veteran's Day honor, dog that crap and pee all over the pilot's plane, a misunderstood herd dog. 


Thanks to PNP, however, the dogs got happy homes. There's also a chapter dedicated to the New Orleans dogs that had to be transported out and there's a pilot who uses snaked as neck warmers. Yep, he transports them too. Pretty interesting.


Some of the stories will make you cry at the abuse these animals have suffered, but in the end you turn the last page with smile, glad there is an organization such as PNP.


Four bikes. I got this from netgalley.




No comments:

Post a Comment