Monday, March 25, 2013

Scandalous by Tilly Bagshawe

ScandalousI was drawn to this book by the promise of a woman scorned and getting revenge on a man.


I am actually on the line between a two and three... The book is entertaining and I did manage to read the entire thing and I was dying to know what happened next, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth, so to speak.

I can say with all honesty, I don't like it.

Quick recap: young girl Sasha is naive and susceptible to a handsome professor's charms. He whoos her and steals her great scientific breakthrough, using it to launch himself to stardom and Hollywood, where he proceeds to dump his wife and marry a Hollywood starlet. Meanwhile, Sasha gets into business and becomes ultra rich, falling for another total douche of a man.

It was entertaining. Don't get me wrong. I was dying to know what happened next, but all the characters with the exception of Theresa, the spurned wife, are vile and disgusting. Everyone is a sex addict. I'm surprised they didn't all die of AIDS by the end of the tale. It is really quite ridiculous. They literally bang different partners mere 20 minutes apart. Not a single man in the book was likable.

Even Sasha's father runs around his neighborhood stark naked when happy. Weird much?

I was expecting Sasha to be a strong heroine. After all, she does fight Theo and she does vows revenge. But in the end, in my eye, she is nothing but a home-wrecker and a dumb woman who loves the worst kind of men--men who use women and treat them like sex objects. I lost my admiration for her.

I don't need a happy-ever-after. I don't feel they really happen in real life, but neither do I feel everyone on the planet is a sex addict as they are in this novel. I would have preferred a different ending on this one, an ending in which perhaps the love interest changed. Sasha, until the end, did not seem like the kind of woman who would fall for a man as vile as him. Considering the circumstances in the end, he did not change at all.

My last quibble: LOTS of telling, little showing. It really hurt the flow of the book. Just lots of data/history/character background was just told to us constantly.

Two bikes. I got this via Amazon Vine.



No comments:

Post a Comment