Saturday, March 2, 2013

Tips from Tara: Don't Be A Twit!

I'm seeing lots of posts like this lately, and I just have to add my own two cents. 

I use social networking a lot, but lately, some things have been grating on my nerves. It seemed like a good post. I could go on and on about DOs, but I'm still learning them myself. But I def figured out a few DON'Ts just by watching. And most of my quibbles are about Twitter.

When someone follows you on Twitter, DO NOT immediately DM them and say, "Thank you for the follow. Please follow my blog and FB page too...*insert link*"

Rude much?

Don't be pushy. Let people get to know you at their own pace. You want to post a mass thing that says, "I have a new FB page. Would appreciate the follow," that's one thing. Directly messaging someone who doesn't know you yet... Just. Don't.

DO (I had one!) talk about something besides your book. Talk about a blog post that has nothing to do with your book. Share an article. I get tired of seeing the same book mentioned twenty times a day.

There is such a thing as OVER-promoing. I won't name names, but I'm so sick to death of seeing certain titles mentioned every 5 minutes on Twitter or FB, I swear to the goddess, I will never read a single one of them and they could be the greatest thing since Coca Cola...or chocolate.

DON'T correct people's spelling on Twitter. Someone was probably excited, strung to the breaking point, perhaps they had 5,000 things to do, and shoot, in their haste, they misspelled a word. Let it go. As long as their book is edited, let them tweet like normal people. Not everyone has a phD.

And now I'm going to talk about another site...

You wrote an erotic romance series... YAY! It got published. Good for you! You think it's hot and sexy. *throws confetti* You discovered Pinterest. Oh dear.

I'm just going to say this. While I'm not a prude, I DO NOT want to see people fornicating every single time I open my Pinterest account. Keep that in mind. We don't need photo after photo of your hero diddling your heroine...in the tub...on the rug...on the top of a car...

Post a bit and then take a break.

That's my advice for the day. Don't let the fact you're behind an avatar give you leave to be rude. 

Below is the slot for YOUR two cents. Let's hear what you have to say.

2 comments:

  1. You have kind of covered mine, but don't spam people directly, consistently. Doesn't make people want to read your book - in fact, it has the opposite effect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen. Sadly, it seems to work for those authors. I cannot bring myself to do it though.

      Delete