Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Choosing a Rhythm for Ride for Rights

Ride for RightsLast week, a lady who runs a radio show was asking me if I wished for her to mention my YA historical novel on a special radio program for teenagers. How could I say no?

But then she asked me if there was a song I associated with it, a special soundtrack. After all, it's a radio show, and radio shows are about sound...

I had to really think on it. After all, I'm deaf and though I can hear some music if I connect an iPod to my hearing aid, I'm afraid I don't make it a habit of sitting here jamming. It takes too much concentration.

But I knew there was by Pink I liked. She always does these strong women music videos and stuff. So I sat down and browsed YouTub until I found one that I felt suited the story. Why I associate it with Ride for Rights?

First of all, Angeline and Adelaide are making trouble everywhere they go in the novel--even though it's not intentional. They are for the underdog too--women. Like Pink in the music video, they get themselves arrested, but they don't let it stop them from their goal. And though they come from a life of wealth, they can get nitty, gritty, and dirty when necessary. 


And my fingers
Are bejeweled
With diamonds and gold
But that ain't gonna help me now



And I imagine...if those two sisters ran across a town full of oppressed whores, they'd free them too. LOL

On that note, I'm just sharing the video with you. I'm gonna see what else I can come with for my other novels because truly, this was fun.



No comments:

Post a Comment