Saturday, August 3, 2013

I'll Read it When I'm Darn Good and Ready!

First of all, let me say, I've been on both sides of this fence. 

As an author, I understand your anguish. Just in the month of April alone, I was in charge of sending out review copies for HerStory. I sent out a good twenty. It's now August and I've only seen three of those reviews.

I figure, okay, maybe they didn't like it and just didn't want to post a crappy review. Fine. Though I'm not anti-bad review. Frankly, I don't think a book looks very legit if it has nothing but 5-star reviews. I wonder if the authors paid or bribed folks to get them.

But what good will it do me to email those reviewers every single day and harass them? "When are you going to read my book? I need a specific date!!! Have you read my book yet? When are you going to post a review?"

I have over 200 books on my Kindle. I LOVE reviewing them, but sometimes, SOMETIMES, I LIKE TO JUST SIT DOWN AND READ WHAT I DARN WELL FEEL LIKE WHEN I DARN WELL FEEL LIKE. So lay off, authors!

Do NOT send me harassing me emails everyday nagging me. If I say, "I should have a review in September", take that. Do not send me two emails hint dropping that you want one sooner. Do not email me five times asking me for a specific date in September. I don't know! I haven't read it yet! What if I hate it and can't finish it? You want a one-star on Book Babe?

If I don't feel I can give it at least a three, you're going to get an email from me that says, "I didn't like your book because....I can't give it a three. Do you still want a review on Book Babe?"

I've never had an author say YES to the bad review. So the bad review goes up on Goodreads only and I get on with my life.

The more you harass me, the less I want to read your book. And that is all I have to say.


1 comment:

  1. I can picture it in my head now...

    Tara! I've been waiting like forever for you to review Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. I've been asking like three times a week. You keep saying "soon". What the heck does soon mean? What was that hand motion just now? I'm number one?

    ...so why does it make me giggle?

    ReplyDelete