Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Dancing with Paris by Juliette Sobanet

Dancing with Paris"I, Claudia Davis, a single, thirty-five-year-old therapist who wanted nothing more than than to marry Edouard Marceau and have my baby girl, had been a prostitute in my past life. The only comfort was in the fact that even though Ruby had been a full-blown prostitute in the past, she sure as hell wouldn't be one now that I was running this show."


And there you have it. Modern-day pregnant therapist is torn from the arms of the man she loves and time-travels back to 1959 Paris where she's a murder suspect, a dancer, a prostitute, and best friends with her future grandmother. And she has to change fate...or lose her life and baby girl forever. After all, she hasn't been born yet...and what if she isn't?

It's extremely exciting and fast paced. Everyone is just dropping dead around Ruby, the past-life heroine and she has to save herself, change what's to come without even knowing what's to come, and figure out who's killing people. I was wholly entertained and dying to know what happened next. It's more mystery than romance, I think, and I like that I wasn't able to figure out whodunit by page 50. Matter of fact, I thought I had a pretty good idea toward the end, but I was wrong.

The first-person narrative worked well, but I am disappointed that there wasn't more historical data. Traveling from 2012 to 1959 can't be peachy. A part of me couldn't help comparing it to another recent time-travel romance I read that jumped similar dates, Hindsight by Sarah Belle. While that author had details about trying to LIVE and perform what in 2012 are much easier tasks (Imagine not having a modern-day washing machine all of a sudden!), this book didn't even touch on that stuff.

It also tied up too quickly and too cheesily in the end. I was left with a lot of questions and it being such a long book, it's not like it didn't have the time to tie them up.

-"When I kill you, your soul won't ever be reborn."

Why not?? Huh? She was killed the first time around and still lived in another life.

-The wife following Ruby around...I seriously doubt she knew Ruby would be in that office and got there before her in time to plant that photo. No... The timing here was all off.

-How could you not notice you haven't had a period in four months? Get real.

-I was also slightly alarmed that the heroines always seem to go for taken men, in both lives, except for in the case of JP. I laughed when Claudia said this, "I'm not normally like this, running from one man to the next."

Errr. Married lover fathered your baby, and three months later the man you love is engaged and then you time travel and a mere three days after you have sex with a married politician in that life, you're having sex with another taken man.

-I was also really put off by the unprotected sex. Granted, the doctor could just shoot himself with penicillin afterward, but really, she's still a prostitute. He's seen the photos and heard it from her own mouth. This grossed me out. I don't care that it was a different soul in the prostitute's body, the body had been around, and just days before. Is the scenario likely? Yep. But I can't help that my nose wrinkled anyway.


From Wiki Commons
Anyway, EW. That being said:


I bought this on Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment