Monday, September 8, 2014

Visit Sunset Villa in Stranger At Sunset by Eden Baylee

A vacation in Jamaica sounds like a great place to escape. Especially a visit to the Sunset Villa, which is the resort in this book Stranger at Sunset.

The writing pulled me into this story. The author writes very well and is easy to follow. I enjoyed her style and would read her again. Stranger At Sunset grabbed my attention starting with the blurb and in to the story. Over all, I enjoyed the story.

There were several point of views to keep up with and at times, I had a hard time, or even wondered why I needed to know what this person was doing on the vacation. I kept reading, figuring I would soon find out. This book was classified as a thriller/mystery. So as I read each scene, I figured there was a reason, the story was being set up. The thriller/mystery genre is one I enjoy a lot. I don't like to say anything negative, but the suspense didn't come in until about 80% of the book had been read, and even then within two chapters, the author let us know who the killer was. I would've liked to see the death come sooner and the suspense held out longer.

With that being said, I did still enjoy the story. I am curious about one of the characters, Kate, and what is in store for her next. The book ends leading me to believe that there will be another, but not in a cliff hanger type way. Everything in this story is tied up with a bow and resolved.

All in all, I would recommend this book to a reader who wants to step away from romance for a bit, and get to know a few sets of characters who have interesting lives. Many of the characters introduced in this story, I am curious where their lives have gone since vacation, so I'm curious to know if the author will use any of them in her next book.

My rating:


Vacation can be a killer.

Dr. Kate Hampton, a respected psychiatrist, gathers with a group of strangers at her favorite travel spot, Sunset Villa in Jamaica. Included in the mix are friends of the owners, a businessman with dubious credentials, and a couple who won the trip from a TV game show.

It is January 2013, following the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. The luxury resort is struggling, not from the storm, but due to a scathing review from caustic travel writer, Matthew Kane. The owners have invited him back with hopes he will pen a more favorable review to restore their reputation.

Even though she is haunted by her own demons, Kate feels compelled to help. She sets out to discover the motivation behind Kane's vitriol. Used to getting what he wants, has the reviewer met his match in Kate? Or has she met hers?

Stranger at Sunset is a slow-burning mystery/thriller as seen through the eyes of different narrators, each with their own murky sense of justice. As Kate's own psychological past begins to unravel, a mysterious stranger at Sunset may be the only one who can save her.